Friday, January 6, 2012

Look out world...shes growing up!!

To my beautiful amazing daughter Maddie, on her 13th birthday. 


Oh my dear...It seems like just yesterday that I was looking upon your perfect little round head, bright red lips, all wrapped up in a pink blanket. We were both heading out of the delivery room to introduce you to the world. You had so many people waiting for you, your Poppie and Mammie, Aunt Jessie (and little Matthew), Nana Karen and Poppa Danny, Uncle Bobby, Aunt Crystal, Matthew, Jacob, Chandra and Braden, Aunt Kellie and of course your dad Ryan.  I didn't realize that I could love something so purely as I did the night you came out to meet me. Its a moment I can not put into words my dear.


I sit here today thinking back to those times, when you were younger. It makes me sad honestly, because my baby is growing up on me. Today is a milestone. Its officially the day you become a teenager. Its also going to be a VERY difficult time in your life. You are going to be caught in between "still a kid" and "not a kid".  I am sorry for this ahead of time. Its a tough transition and I have faith we will make it as long as we work together and communicate.


I want you to remember a few things as you are starting your journey to being a young adult. Remember I WILL LOVE YOU NO MATTER WHAT. We will fight and argue but I will still love you with the same passion as the day you were born. You will hate me, and I will do my best to act like it doesn't bother me and I will continue to love you. You will screw up A LOT. I promise you Maddie, I will try to be as open minded as I wanted my parents to be. Know that we can talk about your screw ups and both learn from them. 


I want you to remember to be honest. In all the values taht you will learn from this life, being honest will serve you well all the time. Being honest is the foundation of character....its what your made of.  It doesnt have to be anything big. It may mean being honest about what you feel, about what you did or about what you did NOT do. Most the time being honest to admit ones mistake is half the jobe done to correct that mistake.





I want you to remember you are a role model. You are my first born. You get to learn right along with me. You have the job of being a big sister. You have 4 younger brothers and sisters that think the world of you. They look up to you (yes..even Trent) the way you look up to Braden ...they love you so much. Its your job as first born to make smart choices, choices that you would want them to make. Be a big sister by loving them and protecting them. Earn their respect by using your intelligence and sense of fairness

I want you to remember to always respect yourself. Know that you are beautiful inside and out. Never ever taint your self respect by not living up to your values. Respect is one of the best things you can give yourself and you should because you ARE worth it. 

I want you to remember to have confidence. Be that girl that SHINES in her OWN light. Be confident that you are a BEAUTIFUL person and you DO NOT need the approval or attention of others to make you feel beautiful or wanted. Stand on your own feet. There should be no room in your body for insecurities. 

I also want you to remember the Golden Rule. Do unto others as you would have done unto you. It doesn't matter what others do or say, you cant control their actions but you CAN control yours. Everything will almost always fall into place if you remember to treat people as you would want to be treated. 

I want you to remember to make good choices. Before you make a choice to do something (no matter how big or small), I want you to think it through. Ask yourself "would_______be proud of me if I did this?" Insert in that blank anyone that you hold to a higher standard or that you dont want to fail. It could be me, your mammie, your poppie, your poppa David, Uncle Ry..Aunt Sue...its your choice. Because if it wouldnt make the one person you look up to proud then its more than likely a bad choice. Bad choices are sometimes really hard to get away from once made Maddie, so do your best to just make good ones. 

Lastly I want you to remember that family is family. Friends will usually come and go but your family is here to stay.  As you work to find yourself and grow up, remember you are loved.  Your family loves you in an insane, deep, almost annoying, mountain-moving way.  We will protect you, guide you, and defend you until the end of time.

Miss Maddie, Happy Birthday baby. You are  Know that I am always on your side. You may not always see that from your perspective, but I am. I want nothing but the best for you and I love you like crazy. 

                           Love, Mom


2 comments:

  1. Ok tissues should be issued before reading this. I'm also so proud of the young lady Miss Maddie has become. I hope she always appreciates how much you love her. I wish I could express to Braden how much I love him and expect from and for him. You have a talent! Happy Birthday Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday dear Maddie and happy birth-giving day dear Janet! How quickly time passes! I am thrilled that you marked this milestone with thoughtfully crafted words and gorgeous photos - some that made me giggle out loud. This is a beautiful, heartfelt tribute to a very beautiful, intelligent, compassionate young person who I just adore.

    Maddie, you are so creative, thoughtful, caring, inquisitive, playful and inherently good. I have been so impressed by your ability to empathize with others and your desire to be of service and help. I remember how you raised funds to help the homeless. I love the way you responded one year when I asked you want you wanted for Christmas and you said you had enough -that you wanted to help others.
    I love your ability to make me feel special just by loving me. You must have learned that from your mother since she really knows how to do it well. I wish you both a very special 2012.
    love,
    Aunt Susu

    ReplyDelete