Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gravel mountians and mud puddles

aug 2008


Last week on Monday, it was one of those perfect reflective rainy days. I was driving home from work, enjoying the mist that was upon my windshield. The kids were of couse in tow, being silent amazingly enough, perhaps caught up in the same magical moment I was. I drove past a large pile of gravel and instantly was sucked into a fond memory, (yes folks gravel makes me smile..lol).
I was about the age when you start to despise your mom, she turns to super cool mom to a burden overnight. I think I was around 13ish...Me and mom were making our way up the red dirt roads to where we called home after a long day of school and work. I remember there was no conversation, we both sat in slience. We passed one of the huge rock piles that the county or state leaves behind to fix the roads with and suddenly she slams on the breaks, puts it in reverse and backs up to the pile. The time I started in with the questions "what are you doing?" she looks at me with a playful look and says "race ya"...We both bolt out of our doors and proceed to race to the summit of our gravel mountian. We ran up and down that thing and laughed till we were exausted.  My mom taught me something that was very valuable that day, wether i knew of the lesson then or not. She taught me to slow down. She taught me that its the little things that stick with you.
I was grasped out of my little memory when my oldest put her hand on mine and squeezed it. She told me with her head cocked sideways and a loving look on her face "momma, I love it when your eyes smile like that". I had to blink away my tears, It baffled me how she was that preceptive on things. We didnt say much on the rest of our way through the red dirt hills. When we got home, I jumped out, started screaming, ran for the biggest puddle I could find and jumped right in the middle of it. Me and the kids spashed, got muddy, but most importantly, laughed till we were exausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment